PROF. SABA MAHMOOD
The Institute mourns the passing of Prof. Saba Mahmood (Anthropology).
Prof. Mahmood passed away on Saturday, March 10, 2018 after a prolonged battle with cancer. A highly influential scholar of the relationship between religious and secular politics in postcolonial societies, sovereignty, subject formation, law, and gender/sexuality, Prof. Mahmood was a powerful presence in the life of the Institute for South Asia Studies. Her vision, energy, fierce intellect, and good cheer played a key role in the creation of two dynamic Institute-centered initiatives: the Pakistan Studies Initiative and Urdu@Berkeley. We will all miss her profoundly. Our heartfelt condolences go out to her husband, son, family and to Saba's wide circle of friends.
CELEBRATING SABA MAHMOOD
Please join us for an afternoon to honor and remember Saba Mahmood's life and work.
Monday, April 30, 2018, 4:30 pm - 7 pm
David Brower Center
Listed below are some obituary notices on Prof, Saba Mahmood.
- To not forgetting Saba Mahmood by Samia Huq in Contributions to Indian Sociology 52(3):348-350, October 2018
- Saba Mahmood and the Paradoxes of Self-Parochialization by Webb Keane in Public Books, August 3, 2018
- Obituary: Dr. Saba Mahmood, 1962-2018 by UC Berkeley's Department of Anthropology, March 11, 2018
- In Memoriam: Saba Mahmood (1962–2018), by University of California Humanities Research Institute, March 12, 2018
- UC Berkeley anthropology professor Saba Mahmood dies at 56, remembered for contributions to social sciences, by Andreana Chou, Daily Cal, March 12, 2018
- Habib University mourns the loss of Dr. Saba Mahmood (1962-2018), Office of Global Engagement, March 12, 2018
- Remembering Saba Mahmood by The Editors, The Immanent Frame, March 13, 2018
- Saba Mahmood, scholar of modern Egypt, loses battle with cancer by Public Affairs, UC Berkeley, March 13, 2018
- Remembering Saba Mahmood, a Pioneer in Redefining Ideas of Rights and Freedom, by Sagnik Dutta, The Wire, March 15, 2018
- A genuine theorist, by Nauman Naqvi, The News on Sunday, March 18, 2018
- An obituary: Dr. Saba Mahmood and her unique perspective on academic discourse, by Riaz Haq, Daily Times, March 19, 2018
- Remembering Saba Mahmood, by Berkley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs, March 21, 2018
- A love letter to Saba by Zahra Hayat, The News on Sunday, March 25, 2018
- Saba Mahmood: The Muslim Female Voice in Western Academia, by Kashmir Reader, March 27, 2018
- Saba Mahmood, 57, Dies; Traced Intersection of Feminism and Islam by Maya Salam, The New York Times, March 28, 2018.
- Saba Mahmood and the Challenge to Liberal Thought by Raka Ray, EPW, March 31, 2018
- On Saba Mahmood: Three Scholars Share Their Thoughts. By Lara Deeb, Maya Mikdashi and Samuli Schielke, Mada, March 30, 2018