PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ARE NOT LONGER ADMINISTERING THIS AWARD.
Tarishi Jain had a dream of attending Berkeley and she made that dream come true. She loved the opportunity to start exploring how her study of economics could transform her home region. While participating in a university-sponsored internship program in Dhaka, Bangladesh, she lost her life in a terrorist attack. Her family and friends, along with the Berkeley community honors her life, spirit, and light with this scholarship so that other students who dream of a Berkeley education can pursue it as she did.
The "Live Life Like Tarishi" award provides for a single grant of $2000 to UC Berkeley undergraduate students with a demonstrated commitment in the field of South Asian history, society, languages, and culture.
The award requires participants to submit an essay that demonstrates a desire to make societal impact in South Asia. Applicants should also clearly state how they plan to use the scholarship funds.
This award is only available for UC Berkeley undergraduates.
The application will close on April 15, 2022 at 5 pm. All application materials must be submitted during this period. Join our maiing list to receive notification of when the application opens.
Tarishi loved Berkeley. It was her dream school. It is the place where she felt she could receive the kind of education that could help her make a change in her home region of South Asia. As a family, we believed in Tarishi’s dream of having a global impact and we want to ensure that other students who want to make the same kind of change in the world will have the right resources to do so. That’s why we are announcing the creation of Berkeley’s newest endowment, which will carry her name forward for the life of this university. Every year, a student with aspirations of being a global change maker will receive the “Live Life Like Tarishi” Scholarship Award. It is our hope that these special students will carry the light forward on behalf of Tarishi and all those who have made a difference in our world
Tulika & Sanjiv Jain
Before starting your application, please make sure to have the following documents ready
- A cover letter
- An essay that demonstrates your desire to make a societal impact in South Asia.
- The essay must be written in English.
- The title of the essay followed by the name of the writer should appear at the top of page one.
- The essay must be double-spaced and in 12-point type throughout, with one-inch margins on all sides of each page.
- The essay must be a minimum of 500 words and a maximum 1000 words in length.
- Only PDFs are accepted.
- A CV (PDF format)
- One letter of support from a UC Berkeley faculty member (PDF, sent by the recommenders directly)
- Please submit applications through the application portal provided above.
- The application page will close on April 15, 2022 at 5 pm. All application materials must be submitted by this date.
- For questions, please email: Puneeta Kala at email@example.com