With the rapid pace of urbanization in South Asia, there is a critical need to improve not only the current inadequate water supply and sanitation services but also plan and meet future demand. As this demand increases at an accelerated pace, the issues to connect the supply and demand are being mired in various questions related to water availability, water quality, public health and hygiene, and cost-effective water provision and management. urbanWASH is a recently launched initiative by ISAS designed to showcase various events and speakers focused on adressing the urgent need of urban water and sanitation issues in South Asia. UC Berkeley water specialist Prof. Isha Ray, is the lead faculty of this initiative. Read a report on safe water related cutting edge research work and projects going on at UC Berkeley now HERE.
ISAS wins prestigious Obama-Singh Award for 2014
Cal team led by Cal water experts Isha Ray and Kara Nelson will collaborate with IIT-B's Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas on a 3-year project titled, "Sustainable Indian Water Infrastructure Project: A Systems Approach."
Some events that have already been organized under this initiative are:
- Shift from Public Health to Urban Infrastructure Building: Urban Water and Sanitation Services in India - Talk by Professor NC Narayanan on his work from IIT-Bombay on October 6, 2016.
- Addressing the largest mass poisoning in recorded history: Arsenic in drinking water in Bangladesh and vicinity - a lecture by Ashok Gadgil, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at UC Berkeley on September 15, 2016 on the most recent breakthroughs in his research.
- Gender Equality: A View from the Loo. TEDxBerkeley talk by Isha Ray on Feb 16, 2016. Too often, we think of gender equality in terms of associated “hot button” words—education, pay, civil rights. But we neglect an essential part of the female experience—dignity in access to toilets, which has profound implications for achieving gender equality. In this talk, Isha Ray, Co-Director of the Berkeley Water Center, shares the experiences of women worldwide and why we need to revolutionize our understanding of women’s issues.
- Reinvent Growth without Pollution: Can India do it? - Talk by Indian environmentalist, political activist, and the 2005 Stockholm World Water Prize, Sunita Narain On April 10, 2014.
- urban WASH: Safe Water for South Asia, a day-long program held on Saturday, April 20, 2013, that showcased UC Berkeley's cutting edge research on water availability and quality, sanitation and hygiene, and cost-effective water provision & management methods for South Asia. Events held on this day were: UC Berkeley water expert, Isha Ray on "Safe Water for South Asia - Water & the Millennium Development Goals." And, author Cheryl Colopy read from her book, " Dirty, Sacred Rivers: Confronting South Asia's Water Crisis."
- Dealing with the largest mass poisoning in the history of mankind: Locally-affordable arsenic remediation of drinking water for South Asia - a lecture by Ashok Gadgil, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at UC Berkeley on November 17, 2011. Webcast of the talk here.
- urban WASH: Paradigms for Water, Sanitation & Hygiene for the 21st Century South Asian City, a graduate student symposium held on April 25, 2012, which focused primarily on urban water management.
- Urban Water Futures - Can India's Small Towns Show the Way? -- The 2nd Sarah Kailath Memorial Lecture on "Women and Leadership," on October 30, 2012, was delivered by Rohini Nilekani, chairperson of Arghyam, a foundation working on water and sanitation issues in India. Video of the talk. Media coverage of the event.Webcast of the talk here.
UC Berkeley Safe Water, Sanitation, & Urbanization Projects
|Berkeley Water Center||Blum Center Water Initatives||Lawrence Berkeley National Lab |
and Water Purifiers
|Berkeley-Stanford Cities |
Information Centers on Water and India
India Water Portal
India Environmental Portal
Independent Research and Projects
California Water Environment
The Pacific Institute: Water and
Water Environment Federation
Sanitation and Water for All
American Water Works Association
IRC International Water and
International Banks and their Water Initiatives
|The World Bank & Water||The World Bank |
& Urban Development
|The Asian Development |
Bank & Water
|The Asian Development Bank |
& Urban Development
Professors at UC Berkeley working in Urban WASH
Water Related Events' Calendar
E-Source for WASH News and Features