One of the world's leading institutes for research and programs on South Asia, the Institute for South Asia Studies (ISAS) at the University of California, Berkeley works with faculty members, graduate students, community members, private institutions, and non-profit organizations to deepen understanding of the region and to create new generations of scholars of South Asia.
- Supports teaching and research activities of South Asia-related faculty and their students
- Initiates and administers research projects
- Organizes and hosts lectures, colloquia, seminars, and research conferences
- Develops financial resources for the enhancement of South Asia studies
- Encourages interdisciplinary, regional, and comparative studies of South Asia
- Creates outreach programs in coordination with other institutions of primary, secondary, and post-secondary education
- Administers fellowships and grants for the study of South Asia
- Publishes language textbooks, research notes, and conference reports and an annual newsletter
- Supports cultural and community activities relating to South Asia and South Asians
The Institute is one of the many Organized Research Units on the UC Berkeley campus that are part of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research (VCRO) which seeks to maintain a research environment that fosters creativity, collaboration and community on campus.