Application Deadline: 5 pm on Tuesday, February 14, 2017
The Institute for South Asia Studies at UC Berkeley has entered into a unique partnership with The Tata Group, the largest private corporate group in India and one of the most respected companies in the world. In 2008, the Tata Group launched the Tata Social Internship Program. The primary objective of this program is to provide international students with opportunities to contribute to community initiative projects of Tata Group companies in India and in so doing to promote international understanding. University of California Berkeley and Cambridge University in the UK are the first two participating universities. Berkeley will identify up to five upper division undergraduate or graduate students for 8-week summer internships with Tata Group's community initiative programs. Through this program, competitively selected interns join Tata community development teams working on the economic and social empowerment of communities surrounding the company's operating units.Tata Interns spend eight weeks in India (June-August) working with Tata companies on various development projects. Before leaving India, the interns make presentations on their findings and recommendations to Tata Corporate Sustainability Services management team. Once back in Berkeley, they participate in a widely attended Berkeley-Tata Symposium to share their work and lessons learned.
Tata interns will spend two months in India working with Tata companies on various development projects. Competitively selected interns will join Tata community development teams working on the economic and social empowerment of communities surrounding the company's operating units. Intern assignments will involve participation in on-going activities/projects with Tata Group companies.
- For UC Berkeley and UC Santa Cruz students: Monday, May 29, 2017 ~ Fri, July 28, 2017
- For UC Davis students: Monday, June 26, 2017 - Thursday, August 24, 2017
Project Themes for Summer 2017
For more information on the types of internships, the Tata companies offering them, and the specific eligibility requirements (if any) please visit the Projects section.
- Orientation: Selected interns will participate in a pre-departure orientation program at Berkeley and be provided with introductory language training. Students from UC Davis and UC Santa Cruz will be required to come to Berkeley for this. They will be provided with additional orientation by Tata in India prior to traveling to their individual assignments. On-the-job translation assistance will be provided by Tata.
- Financial Support: Interns will be given an award of $1500 each. This is expected to cover 2/3 of the cost related to their air fare, immunization and visa expenses for travel to India
- Housing & Local Expenses: Tata will cover all in-country travel and living costs and provide interns with a modest daily stipend for incidental costs. Interns will be housed in guest accommodations operated by Tata.
- Student Presentations: Students will be expected to make presentations on their findings and recommendations to Tata Corporate Sustainability Services management team prior to departure from India.
The Tata Social Internship program is open to upper-division UC Berkeley, UC Davis and UC Santa Cruz undergraduate and graduate students whose expected graduation is no earlier than December 2017. Selection is competitive based on academic record, information provided in the application, and potentially a phone interview. Given the cultural exchange aspect of the program preference will be given to students who have not previously spent more than one month in India.
Desired qualifications include:
- Previous work or volunteer experience with NGOs, community groups, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership capacity
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Existing knowledge/strong interest in India