The Subir and Malini Chowdhury Center for Bangladesh Studies is proud to announce a new award in Bangladesh Studies: The Outstanding Paper Prize in Bangladesh Studies. For further details and application instructions please see below.
Subir and Malini Chowdhury Center for Bangladesh Studies Outstanding Paper Prize in Bangladesh Studies
welcomes entries for its Outstanding Paper Prize in Bangladesh Studies. Submissions are welcome from any discipline, though preference will be given to papers in a social science field. Comparative papers are also welcome.
The deadline for the paper prize is Friday, April 14, 2017.
Winner will be contacted and prize will be announced by Friday, April 21, 2017.
Description of the Award
The amount of the paper prize award will be $500.
- Full time UC Berkeley graduate students or undergraduates with upperclass standing.
- Students must have been registered as a full time student at any accredited university during the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Papers must be linked to a course for the AY 2016-2017 or for undergraduates, must be linked to a departmental thesis program.
Guidelines for Paper Prize
- Faculty may nominate students, or students may enter their own papers.
- For each entry submit:
- Papers must be no longer than thirty and no less than fifteen typewritten (double-spaced) pages of text, exclusive of the title page, endnotes, and bibliography.
- All pages must be numbered.
- The author's identity is to appear nowhere on the paper.
- A separate page should accompany the paper, identifying the title of the paper, the author, e-mail address, affiliated department, and program year.
- A 250-word abstract must accompany each submission. Abstract of winning paper will be published in all announcements of competition results.
- Papers must have at least 50% Bangladesh content.
- Prize winner will present their paper at the Young Scholars Research Symposium.
- In an e-mail, electronic files of 1) the paper, 2) the page with identifying information, and 3) the abstract attached as Word files. (This is the preferred method of submission.) OR
- For persons who lack e-mail capability, four (4) printed copies of each of the following: 1) the paper, 2) the page with identifying information, and 3) the abstract.
Please send entries NO LATER THAN 5pm on Friday, April 14, 2017 to
Subject: "Submission for Outstanding Bangladesh Paper Prize"
Bangladesh Paper Prize Committee
Institute for South Asia Studies, UC Berkeley
10 Stephens Hall, Berkeley CA-94270-2310